The Bells Of St. Michael’s
The history of the bells and bell ringing at St Michael’s dates back to the late 15th century, when the present tower was constructed, as recorded in The Churchwardens’ Accounts of St Michael’s Church Chagford 1480-1600 (transcribed by Ethel Lega-Weeks & Francis Mardon Osborne). Initially, the bells would have been rung from what is now the clock room, directly below the belfry, and this would continue to have been the case until the Victorian church reformers brought the ringers down to the base of the tower, in full view of the congregation.
To continue reading this article, please click the link below:
The Bells Of St. Michael's Church - 132.14 KB