The Organ

A Brief History Of The Organ

Interior organ.jpg

The present organ was built by Henry Dicker in 1850, although there is evidence of a pipe organ in the Church as long ago as 1504, a considerable rarity in those days. The Dicker organ was rebuilt by Hele & Co, in 1899 at a cost of £350. No further significant work was done to the organ until 1966 when a new electronic system was installed. In 1985 the organ was cleaned and in 1998 work was carried to repair water damage.

A major restoration project in 2010/11 has enhanced the usefulness of the organ by restoring it to concert pitch so that it can be played with other instruments and is now able to support orchestral and choral music-making in Church thus enabling us to invite musicians to make fuller use of this wonderful performance space.

 

  • Upcoming Events

    There are no upcoming events at this time.